Also after SP4 Finding doubles slowed dramatically (still running SP4)
Anyone have the changelog?
CB 12.9 (Service Pack)
- Player encyclopedia could be opened twice.
- Regression in 12.7: Inline edited database title was not stored.
- Possible crash in Bitmap-Button if Bitmap could not be loaded.
- Possible crash in search for same players.
- After creating a dossier from a player in a database some functions failed with "Database is in use".
- Minor improvements to the function "improve player names".
- Opening two boards with reference searches and closing one slowed down the reference search in the other one massively.
- After sorting the player list in a database, scrolling didn't show info from the player encyclopedia any more.
- Creating a dossier of a player not yet fetched from the online player encyclopedia was not possible.
- Regression in 12.8: Sometimes a board window opened without a board.
- Improved handling of quick reference databases.
- Old database type will now be set properly again when changing the reference database.
- Possible crash when opening a text.
- Possible crash when entering the chess server immediately after program start and logging off right away.
- Chat color in multi board broadcasts lighter.
> Opening two boards with reference searches and closing one slowed down the reference search in the other one massively.
This might be a major fix, experienced this one multiple times.
Is out now...not a clue as to what the latest update is.
CB 12.11 (Service Pack)
- Possible crash when copying a tournament table to the clipboard.
- After maximizing the minimized program message boxes could be hidden behind the window.
- Regression in 12.10: In non maximized board windows the controls in the variation dialog were not positioned correctly.
- French messages updated.
- Possible endless loop in LoadNextGame/LoadPreviousGame.
- Possible crash when sorting a non cbh-database by position.
- New annotation dialog now unicode-based, allows all characters to be used.
- Bug when copying several pgn into one pgn.
- Possible crash in dialog for player selection.
- Regression in 12.10: "Too many transmission errors" in streams in Playchess.com.
- Refresh button and flicker reduction for game list in Playchess.com.
I need download Sp for chessbase 12 do you know link? Thank you. Richard
CB 12.13 (Service Pack)
- Regression in 12.11: Letscheck analysis was broken.
- Bug in RTF conversion with new unicode based text.
- Bug in HTML conversion with new unicode based text.
- Right-click menu in new annotation dialog.
- Possible crash when playing on the server with 3D-board.
- Possible crash later when editing a text annotation and using the mouse wheel while the dialog is open.
- Polish messages updated.
- Possible Crash in PlayerDossier.
- One button in annotation palette was empty.
- Occasionally games on playchess didn't start properly.
CB 12.14 (Service Pack)
- After newline in the new annotation dialog figurines appeared in the wrong place.
- Conversion bug in new annotation dialog with some languages.
- Bug in RTF diagram output with new unicode based text.
- Diagrams in RTF could appear in bold.
- Entering moves after stopping a video is possible.
- The new annotation dialog was not dpi aware.
- Integrity check didn't repair all faults.
- Playchess: All popup messages ("Opponent resigned") in playing board replaced by flat text.
- Help button in new annotation dialog didn't work.
- Right-click menu in new annotation dialog added.
- New annotation dialog remembers position on screen.
- Regression in 12.13: Sometimes windows could not be closed.
- Integrity check improved with opening keys.
- On huge machines an engine could be started with less threads than intended.
- Some diagrams did not appear in html output.
and what the heck is 'regression' anyway? Seems to crop up a lot in these SP's.
> Regression in 12.13
This means the bug slipped in (was introduced) with SP 12.13
CB 12.17 (Service Pack)
- Fetching weekly MegaBase Update created an undeletable database.
- French messages updated.
- Spanish messages updated.
- New option in find doubles: Keep different annotators.
- Sometimes flat text on a board was immediately overwritten again by the board.
- Display database window first before asking to remove unimportant databases.
- Opening the new chess media system files from DVD was very slow.
- Installation of ChessBase Reader caused the dialog for activation to appear again.
- Improved keyboard handling with edit player dialog.
- When closing the program the correct board window is put on top when the program asks to save a game.
- Text editor can be closed with ESC.
- Replaying games with mouse wheel in full screen mode didn't work.
- Possible crash when activating Letscheck while running several engines.
- Some diagrams did not appear in printout.
How would one update MegaBase since my version does not do it automatically?
Thank you for the offer. I got an excellent email from Steffen Giehring at CB. As always, he gave me top tech support. BTW, it is not easy to get the updates going, mutli-step process.
CB 12.19 (Service Pack)
- French messages updated.
- Display error in notation with unicode annotation.
- Reference search didn't always find positions with former move repetition.
- Possible crash when user agrees to remove rarely used DB symbol.
- Improvements integrity check.
- Copying games with Multimedia files dropped gif.
- Possible crash when converting old html format.
- Permanent fritz trainer activation was not possible after cancelling activation.
CB 12.20 (Service Pack)
- Send Request Error in program and game update when IE was set to offline mode.
- Possible crash in 3D board.
- Possbile crash after successfull activation without restart.
- Improved dialog handling.
- Improved unicode support in game and list display.
- Bug in new unicode annotation dialog with figurines and newlines in text copied from other sources.
- Illegal (training) positions can be entered, stored, printed, etc.
- Windows 8.1 Support.
EDIT: Solved. I went onto the Chessbase website, logged in and downloaded CB12 again. The setup.exe was newer than mine and instructed me that there was a new update (21). I let it run and all is hunky dory again.
- Entering moves in quickboard enabled.
- Added "Cut" to context menu of anno edit dialog.
- Database window keeps selection when a loaded game is stored into another database.
- Possible crash when deleting remaining moves.
- Added font selection to context menu of live book.
- Searchmask dialog resetted a checkbox on every user action.
- Copying games showed the wrong dialog.
- Textfiles of games are written in UTF-8.
- Text on board didn't always disappear completely.
- Improved checks when user tries to load a 64 bit engine in 32 bit windows.
- Selection of entries in dialog-lists via character input.
Don't they even do some basic testing at Chessbase...
CB 12.23 (Service Pack)
- Biography dialog appeared twice if called via keyboard.
- Search for tournaments failed if only year is set.
- Searchmask for playerbase switched to main window.
- Regression in 12.22: Tablebase values were not always sorted correctly
CB 12.24 (Service Pack)
- Sound output improved if another sound is already playing.
- Possible crash when trying to create a 64-Bit UCI engine on a 32-Bit Windows.
- Import with double check could produce erroneous technical messages.
- Search mask in playerbase window put main window to front.
- Improved dialog handling.
- Regression in 12.22: Classification to opening key could stop after one game.
- Regression in 12.22: Drag&Drop to "My databases" was not possible.
- Regression in 12.21: Save dialog, players could not be selected from playerbase.
Is anyone else experiencing lengthy delays in using the reference tab?
When going through my correspondence games that are still in the opening stage i use my own database as a reference, since it is much larger than the MegaDatabase, and includes many correspondence thematics etc., games i wouldn't find in a conventional database.
In CB11 i found that it often took several minutes from a position to list all the games that had reached that position, and perhaps another minute to list the statistics from those games. If i wanted to browse into different variations from that position, it was as if the position was held in cache (i'm no techie, perhaps there is some other memory where the games were held) and viewing the next move happened within 15 seconds.
Now with CB12, not only is the initial search much slower (takes at least twice as long), but if i want to look into variations from that position it looks for a complete new search, taking the same time again as the original search.
The result for me is that a process that took perhaps 10-20 minutes in CB11 now takes 1-2 hours in CB12.
I notice while searching that the status bar on the bottom of the screen, says after "searching 40%", says "(4 threads)". Does this mean it is using only 4 cpu cores for this search feature?
Strange folks are finding CB12 slower than previous versions ...... For me it everything works so much faster, the only thing is that the first release of CB12 was\is super fast at finding doubles but now at SP24 it has returned to the speed of previous versions of Chessbase.
When searching a position it may take up to 30 seconds to find all games for that initial position and speeds up after that as the games are then in the memory (I have allocated 8GB for the databases out of the 32GB the system has)
If you are running an engine at the same time it does indeed in my case use or at least indicate it is using 5 out of the 6 cores to search the position while leaving 1 I think for the actual engine although a lot of the time it simply goes blank until the search is done and all 6 cores are then allocated to the engine.
Not sure what could be slowing others down? maybe memory allocated along with the memory used for the engine hash? Not enough memory maybe causing the hard drive to have to be used which would slow down things considerably.
In previous versions of chessbase an annoying problem could crop up in that it did not find all the games in the position and to correct that you had to delete the search booster and create a new one (that was chessbase own suggestion) I do not have that problem anymore (fingers crossed)
My fav cb12 as I said was the first 64 bit release but sadly it had certain issues but worked super fast
I seriously want to give them it back for a refund, every version since CB7 has been the same. I thought by waiting a year after release all these problems would have been addressed. I shoulda got Chess Assistant this time around
>I thought i'd test your theory about finding doubles quicker... indeed it does seem to find doubles quicker. Unfortunately, as it was packing the database, it >crashed. After a reboot, i tried to get rid of all those marked doubles, and it crashed again
Although with the initial 64bit release I did not get that crash, sadly I got other problems. One simple one was that if you wanted it to fill in the ECO codes in games that did not have them it went through the process but DID NOT ACTUALLY DO IT ..... Right at this moment I find it very fast, put in a position in a 17 million game database and it found all games in under 15 seconds.
I have used chess assistant and for me it is a mess and so hard to work with compared to chessbase. Dont get me wrong CA is very powerful but like Aquarium nothing seems easy except the basics, of course if your brought up with CA then I have no doubt someone will tell us all the positives.
I try to use chessbase 12 and Aquarium together but have to admit chessbase has released 24 service packs which tells you something .... One thing I do is that as I have an initial install of CB12 I always reimage to that and then install the latest SP over that as I am very skeptical that all those service packs in between do not leave any crap behind
> I try to use chessbase 12 and Aquarium together but have to admit chessbase has released 24 service packs which tells you something
Well, it tells us two things: first and of some importance, they have discovered a lot of bugs (but all software has bugs -- I've rarely encountered a CB bug that kept me from working or damaged my data [compare to Aquarium...]); second, and of greater importance, they fix their bugs and release those fixes regularly. I would rather install updates regularly than have to live with annoying bugs, wouldn't you? Their customer service isn't great, but it's improved a lot in the last 5 years, and I've had good responses (and direct contact with the developer in some cases) when reporting bugs in the past couple of years.
>second, and of greater importance, they fix their bugs and release those fixes regularly. I would rather install updates regularly than have to live with annoying >bugs, wouldn't you? Their customer service isn't great, but it's improved a lot in the last 5 years, and I've had good responses (and direct contact with the >developer in some cases) when reporting bugs in the past couple of years.
You wont get me arguing with any of that, like others I have used Aquarium since its release and because I use Aquarium in a very simple way I do not think I have ever been affected by a bug, that said it still looks ugly and is unwieldy even the latest version but beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I have to admit I have used chessbase since it appeared all those years ago.
Chess Assistant which in reality is what CB has to be compared to is so hard to learn but that is simply my opinion, I may have switched years ago if I could have got on with it
PS: As an after thought, you cannot say chessbase do not attempt to fix there bugs after all 24 service packs later even puts the aquarium makers to shame or maybe shows what a crap product chessbase is lol but I bet most players still use chessbase procucts???
I was working with CB11 before i got CB12 the other day, it was still giving bugs of varying nature, despite regular 'updates'. Some of the bug fixes in the past caused worse problems than the ones they were intended to cure.
I've never used Chess Assistant, only Rybka Aquarium. Perhaps i should just persevere with CB11, at least i won't take 2 hours to make a move in a correspondence game...
>Fix the bugs? Who are you kidding?
I said it very much tongue in cheek as they say although sometimes via text it does not come across correctly
>Some of the bug fixes in the past caused worse problems than the ones they were intended to cure
This is why I have an image of the very first install and then when a new SP arrives I reimage back to the original and then only install the latest SP avoiding I hope all the possible crap previous SP have left behind.
Please everyone do not think I am a Chessbase 12 fanboy, I have simply found a way to make it work for me .... Check how much RAM you are dedicating to the database etc etc .... At the moment for me when I want to add a kibitzer it will not allow me to go into advanced settings to change the cores etc I have to start the engine first then right click on the cores showing to alter it or right click in the engine window and chose properties to make the changes, I do not know if anybody else has that problem but I can get around it. I guess I might be able to uninstall the engine and reinstall it with the parameters I want???
If it had been an engine i had paid good money for though, i wouldn't have been pleased
>I have seen that Chessbase 12 becomes slow if u r not online
In what way? The normal operations we have been talking about?
In offline I switch of LAN and it again starts to work.
Powered by mwForum 2.27.4 © 1999-2012 Markus Wichitill