here my 2 cents on a general goal developing a new GUI:
1. Every tool made for humans should also work _for_ humans not vice-versa. But just this issue is disregarded all the time and
everywhere in our life.
2. Humans are a highly eye-catching species. So every software developing and in particular a GUI developing should consider this very
seriously. Every GUI should be self-explaining, intuitive utilizable in every situation, no need for a seriously studying of manuals first.
3. It should be clear that a GUI developing for Windows has to follow original Windows developing rules (scalable windows etc.).
4. A chess GUI is commonly working as a database and an engine playing tool. So a point of view were to separate both areas in the way
only offering those features being relevant for the area just chosen. That were also right for all circumstances one could meet while using
Sorry for talking on very common approaches but all I've seen so far over many years is just indicating that these goals are missing. :-/
1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. d4
1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 d6 3. Bc4
1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 d6 3. d4
1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 e6 . . . . . . . . . . . etc
auto replay is a must and replay speed control. High quality graphics and resizable boards, auto docking windows, ELO rating tools, backward compatibility with old and new PGN formats, chessbase compatibility, winboard and UCI support and all major chess software. Tournament manager, etc. In other words Rybka's interface should just blow Fritz, Chessbase, Arena, Chessmaster, ChessPartner out of the water. It all could be done, "one move at a time".
2. Also have features for beginner to intermediate type players (like in fritz's sparring mode, opening book trainer, and maybe some visual learning tools like in CT-
ART or better)
3. Have good options and ease of use to create opening books (something like Fritz but better). Also maybe have were we can create books for pocket pc version of rybka.
And able to read .ctg books with own native books (at least until the gui grows more popular than Fritz's)
4. Have many good options (especially testsets or choosing an opening where both engines play from either by eco or name or both) when doing engine matches or tournaments (like in Fritz but better or equal).
5. Have a find position (in database) option, time manipulating (for handicap matches with engines) like chessmaster has, and filter games from database option.
> 1. Make the chess pieces and board as beautiful as possible (maybe even offer some beautiful 3d sets). I don't like the way CT-ART pieces and board look. Make them closer (or better) to Fritz's.
I'm reposting this just in case nobody read it:
Please, let us use Bitmaps as pieces, that way we get to use the pieces we like, and we even can create pieces and share them.
You can make them have an alpha channel, let us select the transparent color, or auto detect the most used color as transparent.
BTW will there be complete engine to engine tournament options, it would be great to have comprehensive options like to add/remove engines half-way through like arena.
> Fritz 11's 3D board is the best! I don't think they can top that
There will be no 3D board (in the first release, at least), so that's a pretty safe bet.
Powered by mwForum 2.27.4 © 1999-2012 Markus Wichitill